Monday, July 19, 2010

Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt



I enjoy summer. I find myself much more social. I go out more, I spend more time with my friends. I spend more money on ice cream...

Wait. Not so good. So I'll make my own!

There are literally a bagillion ice cream stores around nearly every corner of New York City. For a person who loves ice cream to begin with, it makes it very difficult to say no to ice cream on a daily basis. And not to even mention that we are in a heat wave of epic proportions. Blech. Out comes the ice cream maker.

Spice made this one and it was unbelievable. So incredibly creamy and tart-tasting, we couldn't put it down. I'm serious. We just sat on the couch with the tupperware full of frozen yogurt between us and ate away!

Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt
Eating, etc. via Foodie with Family

The Strawberry Coulis
1 cup strawberries, washed & hulled (frozen or fresh, we used fresh)
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

1) Place all ingredients in blender & process until smooth. Set aside in fridge.

The Frozen Yogurt
2 cups 2% milk-fat Greek yogurt
4 oz (1/2-brick) Neufchatel cheese (do not soften in advance)
half of 3/4c cold milk (I don’t know what half of 3/4s is, so eyeball it!)
1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate for one hour prior to churning.

Freeze yogurt mixture according to your ice cream maker manufacturer’s instructions (about 15-25 minutes). Transfer mixture to a freezer-safe covered storage container. Pour strawberry coulis by tablespoonful over yogurt, to taste. Using two butter knives, cut & swirl the coulis into the yogurt. Cover & freeze. (If not serving immediately, allow container to sit out on counter for several minutes before serving.)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for making this. I don't feel so alone in the world, anymore, being absolutely dazzled by it. I made more this morning and can hardly wait until it's gone so I can make another batch. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al...are those pictures that you are taking? they are fab-ooo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by shared she means took a few bites while I ate the rest. In one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha JP, your not alone =)

    Thanks, Whit!

    The tables turned on this one, for some reason, huh, Spice? Maybe I'm rubbing off on you finally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...... I just made this a few days ago and it was gone in one sitting for us, too. I'm about to go make some more!

    ReplyDelete