Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies


In my current fall mood and with my cravings for pumpkin, I wanted to make some pumpkin cookies. Luckily, I wasn't called into rehearsal Monday night, so I was able to go home and make some!

These. Guys. Were. So. Darn. Good. I. Almost. Died.

And so did everyone at work who I brought them to. Was that dramatic enough for you to make these? Well, it should be. Spice brought these into work and I was getting text messages and compliments all day about how good they were!

They are a very soft and cake-like cookie, but also dense. And they definitely pack a pumpkin punch! That's probably because I ignored the part of the recipe that called for 1 cup pumpkin puree and I added the entire can.

These definitely have secured a spot on my favorite cookie list and will be made again.

Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cookies
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray.

Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin puree.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in the chips. Refrigerate dough for two to three hours (or overnight).

Scoop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are browned around the edges. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let them rest about 5 minutes. Take the cookies off with a spatula and cool them on wire racks.

1 comment:

  1. [...] cookies turned out cakey and very flavorful. I preferred the other pumpkin cookies I made by a landslide, because I prefer my cookies on the chewy side more than the cakey side. The [...]

    ReplyDelete