Friday, October 23, 2009

Spider Web Cookies


AWWWW! Look at these little wittle cutie patootie guys! I just wanna musha wusha their cheekie weekies!

Ok. I'm done. In case you were worried, that is how I usually talk to puppy dogs I meet on the street. NEVER to children or babies. Just setting the record straight.

ANYWAYS...I am so excited about these cookies! Aren't they just adorable! I finally got some meringue powder so I could make good royal icing and it turned out just swimmingly. I was able to use the same consistency for both outlining and filling, which was nice. I should have let them dry a full 24 hours but I couldn't resist showing them around today!
I already posted the cookie recipe, but below is the royal icing recipe, from Sweetopia who has an excellent tutorial on decorating cookies here. If you are having trouble finding meringue powder, you can buy it on amazon.com or specialty baking sites.
Royal Icing
Sweetopia.net

3/4 cup warm water
5 tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2.25 lbs. powdered sugar

*If your meringue powder has no flavoring, add one teaspoon of clear vanilla.

In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and meringue powder. Mix with whisk by hand until frothy and thickened, about 30 seconds.

Add the cream of tartar and mix 30 more seconds.

Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.

Using the paddle attachment on the lowest speed, mix slowly for 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.

Tint with desired food coloring.

3 comments:

  1. Thats how I talk to BABIES AND CHILDREN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] used the same recipe for royal icing that I used before here. I used Americolor soft gels to color the icing white, black, orange and [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup molasses 1/4 cup water 2 1/2 cups flour 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon ginger 1/8 teaspoon allspice Royal icing [...]

    ReplyDelete