Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes a la Bobby Flay


Yes, red velvet cupcakes yet again. Why is everyone's favorite cake red velvet? I mean it's good, but there are so many other possibilities out there! What about coconut cake? or lemon? or snickerdoodle cupcakes?

I made these for a friend who's birthday was Sunday. He is in Candide with me, the King of Eldorado if you will. Everyone at the theater liked the cupcakes and they turned out very pretty! I really enjoyed the Bobby Flay recipe as well. It was originally for cake, but I turned it into cupcakes and they were darn tootin' delicious! And then top it off with the Sprinkles cream cheese frosting and you best believe you have a pretty rockin' cupcake!

I have to say I really liked this cream cheese frosting recipe. For one thing it was the perfect amount for the cupcakes I had. I usually have a bunch of frosting left over but I hardly had any! Also, it was very cream cheesy and not too sweet, which was PERFECT for me! Ah, gotta love Sprinkles!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Bobby Flay

3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cupcakes liners or tins and set aside.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.

Cream the butter, sugar and oil in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy mcflufferson. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl, and beat until incorporated. Beat in vanilla, vinegar and food coloring.

Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches alternating with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full and bake in the oven about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.


Sprinkles Cream Cheese Frosting
Alice Q. Foodie

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. butter
3 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, cheese and salt in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar until incorporated, then add the vanilla.

1 comment:

  1. ooooooo I want sinickerdoodle cupcakes!! I didn't know you could make those!!

    ReplyDelete