Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cinnamon Twist Cookies


I know I am weird. I guess most people are. But I usually know what it is about me that makes me weird. Every once upon a time, however, I do something I don't realize is strange until someone tells me.

For example, I wanted to make these cookies. They were dog-eared in a cookbook I have. I finally got around to it at about 10:30pm on Sunday night. I just wanted to bake them, not really for any purpose other than that. I guess that's odd, but it just hadn't occurred to me. Annie Bananie, one of my roommates, was there and voiced how weird it was that I liked to just bake. Not to eat it. Not for someone's birthday. Just to bake.

Upon reflection, I realized just how strange that was. Most times when I bake something, I try to decide how I am going to get rid of said item. Should I bring it to rehearsal? Will Spice be home so she can bring it to work? Will Annie be home so she can bring it to the show?

Oh-well. I just like to bake. That's that. Deal with it. =)

These cookies were great! Not really how I expected them to be. I kind of had a vision of the cinnamon twists that I assume now are made with puff pastry. The dough was very chewy, which I thought made them good. I brought them to work and they were a big hit. Per usual =)

Cinnamon Twists
Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream the sugar and butter together. Add the vanilla and egg. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.

Divide dough in half. Stir cinnamon in one half.

Shape level teaspoons full of each plain and cinnamon dough into 3 in ropes. Lay them side by side and twist gently. Repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 8-10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. Let cool several minutes on sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. Annie Bananie here! These were GREAT cookies, I highly recommend them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I'm not sure what went wrong but I made these and the dough turned out very dry and crumbly. I tripple checked all my measurements and I can't figure it out. I've added some water, vanilla, and an egg white until I got a moister consistency so we'll see if it works. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison! How puzzling about the dough! I didn't run into that problem...Did you use a large egg? Since you triple checked all your measurements I can't think of anything else that may have gone wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found this recipe on another site, but i love them, i thought about dipping them halfway in chocolate..i love chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete