Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Baked Brownies


Before I get to the brownies, this past weekend I took an adventure to a baking specialty store. I had never been to one and boy, was I excited when I got there! I went here and found some decorating supplies for Butthead's rehearsal desserts. Not to mention I also got some chocolate, but you could have guessed that, I'm sure. It was like Disneyland in there, though! It was really hard not to buy out the store, which probably wouldn't have worked out anyways because I wouldn't have enough money!

Onward! Since I wasn't a huge fan of the other brownies I made, I tried some others out last night in preparation for Butthead's rehearsal dinner. These were definitely a keeper. Much fudgier and gooeier, just like I like em!

They turned out simply ginormous, though! The recipe called for an 8 inch baking dish but I used a 9 by 13 so I doubled it. For the real thang, I am covering the brownies with a raspberry cheesecake swirl, so I am definitely going to put the original recipe in the 9 by 13 baking dish and cut down the cooking time a little!

I also tried out a chocolate cream cheese frosting to put on top of the red velvet cupcakes. Um. This frosting was to die for. Spice and my friend Kali both wanted to stick their heads in the bowl of icing before I had even frosted the brownies! Silly! Luckily, I got the brownies frosted, and I definitely give super kudos (yet again) to Martha!

So Good Brownies
MyRecipes

4 (1-oz) unsweetened chocolate baking squares
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8 inch pan (or a 9 by 13 inch one).

Microwave chocolate squares and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in granulated and brown sugars. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Whisk in flour, vanilla, and salt.

Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Bake at 350° for 40 to 44 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Martha Stewart

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate
24 oz. cream cheese
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let stand until just warm, 10 to 15 minutes.

Put cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Mix in melted chocolate until combined. Use immediately.

2 comments:

  1. That place sounds like HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a recipe for that kind of frosting before! Can't wait to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete