Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Vanilla Extract



In case you haven't noticed, I have a mild, yet healthy obsession at the moment with homemade vanilla extract. Not only does it show through on several of my recent blog posts, but my apartment has a very specific designated vanilla resting place where I have several labeled bottles either ready to be used, or in the process of becoming extract.

Could someone please explain to me how something so easy to make costs about $10 for a small bottle at my grocery store? 

Not only is my homemade extract saving me money, but there is such a huge difference in the vanilla flavor quality in my creations now. I like to keep my extract un-strained so that I can see all the little vanilla flecks in everything I make. 

I have been ordering my vanilla beans online. I've used the following sources with good results: Amazon.com and  The Organic Vanilla Bean Company



Homemade Vanilla Extract
From Eating, Etc. 

750-ml well-sanitized, dark-colored glass wine bottle
1 wine bottle stopper or clean cork
2c vodka 
8+ good quality vanilla beans, split & snipped in ½” pieces

1) Pour vodka into wine bottle.
2) Place split, snipped vanilla bean pieces in the vodka or rum.
3) Cork & shake well.
4) Let sit for approximately 30 days, shaking the bottle, daily, to distribute the tiny vanilla seeds well for maximum flavor. 
(This is very forgiveable; even if you don’t shake it that often, it still turns out fine.)
5) After 30 days, begin using.

11 comments:

  1. Weird that you would post this today. I was getting frighteningly low (you know...down to my last pint) LOL so started a new batch today! I haven't bought (rip-off) store-bought vanilla extract in about 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla Sugar

    * 1 whole vanilla bean
    * 2 cups granulated sugar

    1. Place the vanilla bean into a airtight glass jar and completely cover it with the sugar.
    2. Shake the container once a day.
    3. The sugar is ready to be used within two weeks.
    4. The vanilla bean can be reused to flavor additional granulated sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vodka you say? Seriously? Fascinating! I will have to give it a try. Thanks lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike, JP!

    I've been meaning to do that one too, Joan!

    More than welcome, O'Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I get my beans from The Organic Vanilla Bean Company too! Love them! And thanks to LadyJayPee, I've been making my own vanilla for about 6 months now. LOVE IT!!!! It's so wonderful. I have 1 1/2 batches left-need to start another one. Last time I just got lazy, opened up the vodka bottle, and shoved a ton of split beans in there, and corked it. Didn't worry about putting it in a dark bottle, because I keep it in a dark cupboard. Works great! Love your pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are you getting vanilla extract for $10? I've never seen it for more than $4.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you use an empty wine bottle and just clean it really well before putting the vodka and beans in there? Where do you find clean corks?

    Or maybe I can just use the vodka bottle, right? It sounds like a good idea.

    Also, should I use high end vodka or any vodka will do?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mariana: I did use an empty wine bottle. I rinsed and cleaned it as best I could and I have these wine bottle corks that I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond that work perfectly. I don't see why you couldn't use the vodka bottle, as long as you keep it in a very dark place. I've never used high end vodka and always gotten great results. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lisa. Lisa said: Vanilla Extract - Extracts/Spices - - Everything Nice http://is.gd/bQC6S [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. What type of beans do you find get the best results?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kristin! I usually buy Tahitian beans, for no particular reason. I'm sure you could use Madagascar beans as well!

    ReplyDelete