Friday, April 9, 2010

Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa



This week there has been a heat wave of epic proportions in New York. Okay, I may be exaggerating a teeensy weeensy bit. May I also add that I am a heat wimp. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, where summers were mild with little to no mugginess. Imagine my disgust at sticky, indian summers here in New York. Blech!

Well, in light of our recent heat wave, Spice was kind enough to make me something I have been begging her to make for months: Fish Tacos!!

And they sure did NOT disappoint! These really helped me embrace summer. The fresh fish, mango and fruity tang gave me so much to savor. The original recipe calls for halibut, but Spice and I could only find cod in our grocery store. I'm sure you could also substitute other white fish such as striped bass or turbot.

Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa from Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2010

1 cup diced peeled ripe mango
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 jalapano pepper, seeded and minced
5 cups canola oil
3.38 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup beer
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 16  strips
8 (6-inch) corn (we used flour) tortillas

1. Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.

2. Clip a fry thermometer to the side of a large, heavy saucepan. Add oil to pan; heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Be sure to heat the oil to the proper temperature and maintain the heat. Otherwise the fish will absorb unnecessary fat and calories as it cooks.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, beer, black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder, stirring with a whisk. Add fish to batter, tossing gently to coat. Remove fish from batter. Carefully add 4 or 5 fish pieces to hot oil; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and done, turning occasionally. Drain fish on paper towels. Repeat procedure in batches with remaining fish.

4. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; spoon about 2 tablespoons salsa into each tortilla.

4 comments:

  1. Yums! I want to make this. I love sweet with my fish tacos, especially mango salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this mango salsa with our own version of fish tacos tonight. It was FABulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it! I'm going to have to try it with your fish tacos. Soon enough I shall be a fish taco connoisseur! =)

    ReplyDelete