Monday, April 12, 2010

Lemon Bars



When the weather turns warm, I find my taste-buds adapt accordingly. Gone are the cravings for carbs, warm soup and creamy pasta. I find myself gravitating towards fruity dishes, lots of fish and especially citrus! 

When the weather began warming up last week. And by "warming up" I mean to say that New York had record-breaking highs for most of the week. For some people, that meant time spent playing frisbee in the park and enjoying margaritas at outdoor restaurants. To me, that meant a 90+ degree office because the building won't turn on the air conditioning before Memorial Day and we can't open any of our windows. I sat melting away in a stuffy office for most of the week. 

In retaliation, I made lemon bars.

These are great, gooey lemon bars that pack a pucker-worthy citrus punch! I doubled the lemon filling and baked for a few extra minutes, which I showed below. The crust is a great building block for the filling and compliments it without being too much like shortbread (which I think sometimes overtakes lemon bars). 

Lemon Bars from Eating, Etc.

Crust:
 2 cups all-purpose flour
 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Filling:
8 eggs 
4 cups sugar
12 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 tablespoons flour 
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
Zest from 1 lemon 

Crust:
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, butter and powdered sugar. Spread in a 9 by 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. While crust is baking, work on the filling to be immediately poured over hot crust.

Filling:
In a large bowl, mix all filling ingredients together with a spoon (do not use a mixer). Pour filling over hot crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes. While still hot, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let cool for 15 minutes and then cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator.

15 comments:

  1. I can just smell these right now, yummmmmm, these look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and delicious. A fabulous treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Eight eggs?!!! What a rich, lemon bar!! They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Valen and Cherine!

    Haha Memoria, 8 eggs definitely make for rich and delicious bar indeed! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these yesterday and served them with vanilla ice cream on the side. So divine! They were the perfect combination of sweet and tangy. I just used Graham crackers for the crust and omit the powdered sugar. The bars needed nothing else but good times with good friends. Kudos on this fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine, I'm so glad you enjoyed them! The Graham crackers sound like a great substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] Lemon Bars – Everything Nice – Double the filling. Interesting. But… I love the shortbread crust part too! Oh, what to do? [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! These look fabulous! What a great way to celebrate spring! I'd love to feature these on my site www.canigettherecipe.com with full links and credits back to you if you are keen! Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cari! I'd be very happy to let you feature these on your site. Thank you for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] Lemon Bars – Everything Nice – Double the filling. Interesting. But… I love the shortbread crust part too! Oh, what to do? [...]

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look SO good!! I love lemon bars, and your pics are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! These look fabulous! What a great way to celebrate spring! I'd love to feature these on my site www.canigettherecipe.com with full links and credits back to you if you are keen! Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, Jeff! Thanks for visiting! I'd be honored for you to feature these on your site! Thank you for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, Jeff! Thanks for visiting! I'd be honored for you to feature these on your site! Thank you for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made these today, as an expert on lemon bars- my waistline will tell you the same- I loved them!

    I added a little lemon zest to the crust, and tripled the zest in the filling.. They pack quite the punch!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete