Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Marshmallows


I have distinct memories of my childhood, plopped in front of a fire pit with a long stick and a marshmallow on the end of it. I remember adults helping me to roast and then eat the warm, gooey marshmallow. I always felt so comfortable in front of the warm fire, like I belonged in that moment.

I also have distinct memories of being an idiot as a child. My friend, Melissa, and I decided one lazy Saturday that we needed to remake the old "Lemonade Stand" idea. After rummaging through my pantry, we happened upon a bag of marshmallows. Being the creative (but stupid) kids we were, we decided that we could make taffy by working each marshmallow with our fingers and then sell it on the street near my house.

There are several things wrong with this scenario. First, who is going to buy marshmallows? And more specifically, who in their right mind is going to buy marshmallows that have been turned inside out by two grubby third graders?

Second, I lived on a very busy and windy road where SUV's aplenty were known to have gone 30 mph over the speed limit. If we had set up a stand on my street, our business and our bodies would undoubtedly have been run over.

Creative? Yes. Smart? Most certainly not.

Thank goodness common sense prevailed: My dad, upon arriving home and finding wads of mushy marshmallow everywhere nicely directed our attentions elsewhere and our idiot project was forgotten.


As I made these marshmallows, I couldn't help but  think about both a warm campfire, and my 3rd grade idiotic idea of the century. My ideas, apparently, have grown a bit with age. I decided to make s'mores with the marshmallows over a candle flame. This idea actually panned out. My friend, Kali, came over to partake of my hairbrained idea. But it actually worked this time! The roommates, Kali and I all roasted marshmallows from kabob sticks over a candle flame!



These marshmallows were awesome. All of us couldn't believe how much better they are than the store-bought ones. They have a very distinct vanilla flavor, which could be due to the homemade vanilla I've been using. They are also very easy to make if you have a stand mixer. This would be a super fun thing to make for a chocolate fondue pot and a girl's night in!

Marshmallows from One Ordinary Day via Alton Brown

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 cup ice cold water, divided
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
nonstick cooking spray

Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer, along with 1/2 c. of the cold water.  Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 c. water, granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt.  Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.   Uncover and clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan.  Continue to cook until mixture reaches 240 degrees, approximately 7-8 minutes.  Once the mixture reaches the correct temperature, immediately remove it from the heat.

Now turn the mixer on low speed with the whisk attachment in place.  While running the mixer, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture.  Once all the syrup has been added, increase the mixer speed to high.  Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12-15 minutes.  Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping.

While the mixture is whipping, prepare the pan.  Combine the powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.  Lightly spray a 9×13″ metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Add the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture to lightly cover bottom and sides of pan.  Reserve the rest for later.

When ready, pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan, using a spatula that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Spread evenly.  Dust the top with enough of the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture to lightly coat.  Reserve the rest for later.  Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.

Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into squares using a pizza wheel dusted with the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture.  Once cut, lightly dust all sides of the marshmallows with the remaining mixture.  Can store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

9 comments:

  1. I usually only like marshmellows in smores but these were so tasty I liked them as a stand alone treat! I think our "campfire" was a perfect NYC was to make smores.

    Also, I vote for a fondue night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Love reading your blog ... a little like having you ehre talking to me. I have shared it with my friends Kelley, Margaret Redman and Becky Showalter .... you have more followers :)

    Do you remember marshmallows in our fireplace in the kitchen?

    love you kiddo!
    ~joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananie, YES! Fondue night!

    Thanks for passing on my blog, Joan! I DO remember marshmallows in your fireplace! I feel like I have just as many memories in your house as I do in mine! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just wondering how your vanilla extract turned out, and if you'd tried making marshmellows yet. That "small beginning" business story is hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super cute! I love the idea of homemade marshmallows, especially over a candlelight! Ha...super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JP: I'm obsessed with homemade vanilla now. And vanilla beans. Good obsession to have! =) Thanks for pointing these out to me!

    Thanks, Adrianna! And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a funny story- I loved it!! Gorgeous marshmallows, too- I haven't tried those yet. I'm obsessed w/vanilla beans and vanilla extract as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a funny story- I loved it!! Gorgeous marshmallows, too- I haven't tried those yet. I'm obsessed w/vanilla beans and vanilla extract as well.

    ReplyDelete