Monday, April 26, 2010

Mocha Brownies


These brownies are saving my life right now. Allow me to explain: I had surgery on my foot last week. Wait! Don't freak out (I think I did enough of that for everyone)! But it was planned and hopefully I will be dancing again soon. I made these brownies before the surgery and now that I am recovering on the couch, with my "toes above my nose", I look forward every day to eating one of these splendid morsels of awesome-ness after I eat dinner.

The brownies themselves are super chocolatey and definitely on the fudge end of the spectrum. I am usually not a "frosting on my brownies" type of person, but I listened to The Pioneer Woman (as I always try to) and smothered a healthy layer of mocha frosting on top. 



One bite was pure heaven! I have kept them in the refrigerator to keep the frosting a little bit harder. The coffee flavor of the frosting with the fudge brownie....WOO! Out of control! Thanks, Pioneer Woman, for giving me 5 extra brownie-pounds since I can't work out right now. Love, Sugar.



Mocha Brownies from The Pioneer Woman's Cookbook
  • Four 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter

  • 2 cups sugar

  • 4 large eggs

  • 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

  • 11/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened

  • 5 cups powdered sugar

  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature

  • Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 inch square pan. 

    To make the brownie batter, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, being careful not to let it burn. Set it aside to cool slightly.

    In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs.

    With the mixer on low speed, drizzle in the melted chocolate. Add the vanilla extract and mix.

    Add the flour to the bowl and mix just until combined; do not over mix.

    Pour the batter into the baking pan. Spread it to even out the surface. Bake at 325°F for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center is no longer soft. Set the brownies aside to cool completely before icing.

    To make the icing, in a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. Mix until slightly combined, then add 1/2 cup of the coffee.

    Whip until the icing is the desired consistency. If the icing is overly thick, add 1/4 cup more coffee. It should be very light and fluffy.

    Ice the cooled brownies, spreading the icing on thick. Refrigerate until the icing is firm, then slice the brownies into squares.

    24 comments:

    1. I came here from Tastespotting, because your brownies just looked so tempting :) I can't wait to try them for myself.
      I do hope your foot recovers very soon and you're back to dancing again!

      ReplyDelete
    2. oh gosh I bet these are good! They look to die for!

      ReplyDelete
    3. These brownies look absolutely fantastic! I must try these out when I'm feeling down and out. I hope you get better soon!!!

      ReplyDelete
    4. These look SO good! Yum. Totally need to try them!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. What size brownie pan> Can't wait to try these

      ReplyDelete
    6. Those are some serious looking brownies! My goodness I'd like one right now-no I want two...... Hope your foot gets better soon!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Those do look addictive!

      bittersweetsugarandsarcasm.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    8. would love to share your recipe on my blog if you don't mind... www.gregkantner.com/blog/ of course giving you full credit

      ReplyDelete
    9. Thank you for the well wishes, everyone!

      Suzanne, a 9 by 9 inch pan is what I used and what Ree recommends. Thanks for catching that!

      Greg, I'd be honored for you to share this recipe on your blog! Thanks for asking!

      ReplyDelete
    10. [...] Mocha Brownies – Bar Cookies/Brownies Frosting Uncategorized – – Everything Nice [...]

      ReplyDelete
    11. Oh my! Those look incredible!

      xxMK

      http://delightfulbitefuls.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    12. I think I could eat a vat of that frosting alone. But couple it with coffee-flavored brownies and I am in total heaven.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Hmmmmmmmm... must try! Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    14. "In a medium mixing bowl, cream, the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs."

      I dont recall seeing Cream in the ingredients. Did I read it wrong or was this ingredient ommited from the list?

      Cant wait to try them!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Hi Haylie! I had a superfluous comma in there! No cream. Just the butter and sugar. Thanks for pointing that out!

      ReplyDelete
    16. I tasted these brownies and they were AMAZING! Keeping them in the fridge was a great choice as the frosting was always so cold. Really great flavors!

      ReplyDelete
    17. I am drooling over these brownies! MUST make these ASAP!! WOW!

      ReplyDelete
    18. ЎHola!
      їPuedo tomar obtener una pequeсa foto de su blog?
      Gracias

      Ivan

      ReplyDelete
    19. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by djbrigidope. djbrigidope said: mocha brownies: http://everythingnicebysugarandspice.com/?p=481 [...]

      ReplyDelete
    20. Hey, isn't there a really old workout show (from like the 80's) for elderly people to work out to? I think it's called "Sit and Be Fit". That could be you!!!!

      Nice looking brownies, BTW. I love how the frosting layer is almost as big as the brownie itself!

      ReplyDelete
    21. Hope your foot is recovering nicely! These brownies look amazing!

      ReplyDelete
    22. rewrite rocket Great site! I have a site aboutrewite articles, do yo uwant to exchange links?

      ReplyDelete
    23. Wow - the frosting to brownie ratio literally looks 1:1. Fabulous. :)

      ReplyDelete
    24. Found you through food gawker. Gorgeous pics ;)

      ReplyDelete