Thursday, October 14, 2010

PW's Cinnamon Rolls



I've been wanting to make The Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls for awhile now. Pretty much since I saw that every comment on her post of them was a positive, OMG comment. Apparently, these cinnamon rolls could be used to cure world peace. Perhaps its all the butter...



This is definitely a great recipe to have in my back pocket for potlucks, friends and Christmas morning. The original recipe makes a crazy ton of cinnamon rolls, more than I would ever need in a lifetime, so I halved the recipe and wound up with two full 13 by 9 inch pans of rolls.



On top of the cinnamon-y goodness, I thought the icing was fall on the floor awesome. And good thing, too, because there was so much, I pretty much drowned the rolls in it!



The flaky and gooey inside was my favorite part, but I resisted going through and digging out the insides of all the rolls. Besides I had guests, and it would have been rude =)



Cinnamon Rolls of Wonder
The Pioneer Woman

1/2 quart whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 package Active Dry Yeast
4 cups (plus another 1/2 cup) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/8 cup ground cinnamon

1 pound powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup milk
1/8 cup melted butter
1/8 cup brewed coffee
scant 1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool 30 to 45 minutes. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in the Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 4 cups of all-purpose flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.

After rising for at least an hour, add 1/2 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down).

When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take the dough and form a rough rectangle. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Drizzle 1/2 to 1 cup melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.

Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.

Spread 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a seven inch round foil cake or pie pan. Then begin cutting the rolls approximately ¾ to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans.

Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375- 400 degrees until light golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.

For the frosting, mix together all ingredients listed and stir well until smooth. It should be thick but pourable. Taste and adjust as needed. Generously drizzle over the warm rolls.

4 comments:

  1. My those do look delicious! I see you opted out of the maple flavoring?
    Did you bake/serve them in the morning? I would love to serve fresh cinnamon rolls, but there is the getting up very early factor if they are served for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did opt out...because I couldn't find maple flavoring anywhere! I made the dough the day before and then finished them up and served them in the morning, without having to get up too early, even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to be such a pest (plucking at your sleeve), but... So it didn't take very long for them to rise in the morning? Or is that when you "rose" them?
    I buy a flavoring called Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavor--it's made by McCormick under the Crescent brand. I wouldn't know where to begin to look for it in New York! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not being a pest at all! After the second rise, I put the dough in the refrigerator overnight and then in the morning, I rolled them out and let them rise for the final time about half an hour while the oven was warming up and then stuck them in!

    I'll have to keep my eye out for that maple flavor. I bet they'd have it at Whole Foods, but I didn't think that far ahead!

    A nice, large cup of coffee helped with the waiting time in the morning =)

    ReplyDelete