Friday, October 1, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars



If I could help it, I would not be a granola bar type of person. I'd much rather eat whole/real foods than fake, processed, sugary bars. Unfortunately, between running from dance classes to the gym and to work and to all other things in between, its hard to not just grab a granola bar and go.

Thankfully I found Lara Bars, which have no preservatives and are made strictly out of real food. Not to mention they are really quite tasty, too! Unfortunately, which an almost $2.00 price tag per bar, its not something I could readily afford. So glad I thought of creating my own! Now I can make them as big or small as I'd like and just throw it in my bag for when the going gets tough and the tough get hungry!

You can really use any combination of dried fruits and nuts in these. I will definitely be experimenting in the future. You can add nut butters if you'd like, or honey, maple syrup and chocolate chips for sweetness. Its pretty hard to screw these up, so try some new combos and let me know how they turn out!



Homemade Granola Bars

1/2 cup dried apples
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seed
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with plastic wrap. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until combined. I found it a bit easier to let the fruits blend for a bit and then add the nuts and so forth. Spread the misture into the baking dish and press it into place. Cut into bars of any size/shape you would like and wrap in plastic wrap individually. Store in the refrigerator in a large plastic bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment