Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BBQ Chicken



BBQ Chicken is one of my favorite meals. When I went through a particularly picky eating period in my life, my dad had to make me either BBQ chicken or lemon chicken every night for dinner. What a boring existence! I also had to have the chicken be boneless and skinless (which I still prefer, even with BBQ chicken). In college, I had limited access to my obsession and it quickly fell out of popularity for me.

Good thing this popped up on Eating, etc. awhile ago. I have since been making it quite regularly and this summer was no exception, although I am just now getting around to sharing it. Spice and I both agree this makes the most tender, flavorful BBQ chicken we've ever eaten. As a native Syracus-ian, Spice always has Dinosaur BBQ Sauce around, so we use that most of the time when we make this.

BBQ Chicken
From Eating, etc.
1lb-2lb chicken pieces

favorite spice rub, to taste

salt & pepper, to taste

1 large onion, sliced

3/4c port wine ( we use any red wine)

favorite bbq sauce

Rub chicken pieces with spice rub, salt, & pepper to taste.

Sear chicken on preheated grill on each side for 5-15 minutes (10-30 minutes total, depending on whether using bone-in or boneless chicken).
Preheat oven to 325°F.

Transfer chicken pieces to oven-proof covered pot (we use a cast-iron dutch oven), adding sliced onion, port wine, & barbecue sauce.

Bake at 325° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment