Wednesday, October 13, 2010

OMG Apple Pie



Growing up, I had my fair share of apple pies. Even as an adult, I have been known to enjoy a delightful apple pie. This guy takes the cake, though (or pie if you want to get specific here). It was so good, that it was gone in 3 days and I only had two slivers. Even Spice, who is admittedly not a big pie-person, loved it and had several slices.

I'm always in a debate with myself about what type of apple pie to make. In my world, there is the overly syrupy apple pie that you often find at diners, where the apples don't have even a hint of crunch left and you have a pile of oozing cinnamon-spice goop on your plate. Then there is the apple pie that has very little sugar and is just apples, spices and crust.



I strove here for a happy medium and think I hit the nail on the head! This apple pie is definitely sweet, spicy but doesn't have a syrup-like sauce that dribbles out of it. In my world, that means its pretty darn perfect!

The crust I used was from New Best Recipe, always a winner. It was flaky and buttery and completely melted in my mouth!

I waited until the day after I made the pie to try it, and even then, the first slice was a bit goopy (see picture below). It only got better with age, though! So if you can, wait a full 24 hours before cutting into this! I won't judge you if you can't, though. =)



I will certainly be making this apple pie again. Probably soon since Spice and I just went apple picking this weekend! Pictures to come soon!



Apple Pie
Adapted from All Recipes and Crust from New Best Recipe

Crust:

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
6-8 tablespoons ice water

Process the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor until combined. Add the shortening and process until the mixture has the texture of coarse sand, about 10 seconds. Scatter the butter pieces over the flour mixture; cut the butter into the flour until the mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse crumbs, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about 1-second pulses. Turn the mixture into a medium bowl.

Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of the ice water over the mixture. With a rubber spatula, use a folding motion to mix. Press down on the dough with the broad side of the spatula until the dough sticks together, adding up to 2 tablespoons more ice water if the dough will not come together. Divide the dough into 2 balls and flatten each into a 4-inch disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 days. 

Filling:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon cardamom
Egg for brushing
Sugar for dusting

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour followed by corn syrup to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom together in a large bowl.

Roll out one half of the pie dough and place in a lightly greased pie pan. Use a fork to poke several holes in the bottom of the dough.

Remove the sugar mixture from the heat and pour over the apples, mix to combine. Carefully fill the pie pan with the sugar-soaked apples, mounding slightly.

Roll out the second half of the pie dough and cover the apples. Close the sides and crimp as desired. Cut four lines in top of pie, slanting down.

Lightly beat the egg and brush over the top of the pie. Dust with sugar. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous pie! That is my favorite apple pie recipe--I'll have to try the corn syrup in my next one. The crust looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! It's my new favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete