Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Apple Bundt Cake



In an effort to use up a few more apples from our apple-picking excursion, I made this Pumpkin Apple Bundt Cake. I had bookmarked about four different apple cake recipes, but the thing that drew me to this one was that it had apple butter, which I knew, in my all-encompassing pumpkin obsession, I could substitute with pumpkin butter! Pumpkin AND apples?! Heck ya!

My mastermind idea didn't disappoint, either! The cake was definitely pumpkin, with bursts of apple throughout. I kept the walnuts in, but next time, I don't think I will. I think I'd like the pumpkin and apple to shine more without nuts getting in the way. The cake itself was moist and I ended up with just a light layer of powdered-sugar on top. 



Pumpkin Apple Bundt Cake
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From my Home to Yours" 

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup pumpkin butter
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
1 cup walnuts (optional)
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 12 cup bundt pan.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.

Working with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed, scraping the bowl as needed, for 3 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth, thick and pale. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition; you'll have a light, fluffy batter. Still on low, add the grated apples and mix to completely blend. Add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the nuts if desired. Turn the batter into the bundt pan and smooth the top of the batter with the rubber spatula.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 5 minutes before unmolding and cooling the cake to room temperature. If possible, once the cake is completely cool, wrap well in plastic and let it stand overnight at room temperature to ripen the flavors.

Dust the cake with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment