Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chocolate Rolled Cookies



One of the only things I dislike about baking is wasting ingredients. Whether that means you waste ingredients on something that was less than mediocre, you use egg whites and have no use for the yolks, your fruit goes bad before you can bake it into something (this happened to me yesterday and gave me a sad), or you make too much frosting than you need.

Well, these chocolate dudes don't use egg whites, have no fruit in them and tasted delicious so by process of elimination you can guess that I had an excess of frosting on my hands! Ding ding ding! You win!

I had almost 2 cups of chocolate frosting left over from my Butterfly Cupcakes and just couldn't bring myself to chuck it. And what better to go with chocolate frosting than chocolate cookies? Ok, chocolate frosting is delicious on vanilla as well, but I wanted to try Meaghan's Chocolate Rolled Cookies in her book Cookie Sensations (By the way, I LOVE this book). And what a perfect way to get rid of some chocolate frosting!

These cookies were great! Soft on the inside, but hold up VERY well to decorating and have a perfect chocolate taste! I rolled them out and used a small, circular cookie cutter. I piped this chocolate frosting on them and sprinkled some white non-pareils on the top. A few of the others I made "sandwiches" with and rolled the edges in the non-pareils.

Chocolate Rolled Cookies
From The Decorated Cookie

1 cup (2 sticks) slightly softened, unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and blend. Mix together the dry ingredients and gradually add to the wet. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. When chilled, roll out on a floured surface, cut out shapes, and bake on a parchment paper-lined baking tray in a preheated 375 degree oven. Bake 8 to 10 minutes for small cookies, 10 to 12 minutes for larger cookies, or until edges are crisp. TIP: In lieu of flour, which may show up on the surface, you can roll cookies between two pieces of wax paper.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these chocolate cookies look delicious! I love love icing on my cookies. The richer the better, I think. I've made dozens of rolled cookie recipes, but never chocolate. I might just have to have a go at this recipe. You make them look mighty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Thanks! You should definitely try 'em! They're pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] cookies and 18 regular sugar cookies. I used Bridget‘s (Bakeat350) sugar cookie recipe and Everything Nice‘s Chocolate Rolled Cookies recipe for the chocolate ones. Both recipes were very similar and [...]

    ReplyDelete