Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hazelnut Browned Butter Shortbread Cookies

Add this to the Christmas repertoire. On Christmas Eve Eve I set out a cookie platter with about 6 types of cookies, fudge, etc. I think most of the women went for the Penuche Fudge I just posted, but my Dad said his favorite was this cookie. I've never made shortbread (gasp) and when my Stepmom said she had a recipe she wanted to try (or she wanted me to try), I grabbed the stand mixer and said "dibbs".

These turned out really good. I think everyone's favorite part was the chocolate with sea salt on it though. They may have tasted the cookie underneath, or maybe not. The original recipe didn't call for rolling out the dough, but I really can't miss the opportunity to use cookie cutters. I know, I'm an oddball =D.

Hazelnut Browned Butter Shortbread Cookies
The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch

1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour (I would start with 2 cups and work your way up if you have to)
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Fleur de Sel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Remove from heat, cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat remaining butter with electric mixer on med speed for about 30 seconds. Add sugars and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in browned butter and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the hazelnuts. Divide dough in half.

Roll dough out half at a time and cut into desired shapes. Place on cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated 325 oven for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

In glass 4-cup measuring cup, place chopped bittersweet chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon shortening and microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Dip scalloped edge of each wedge into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Return to wire rack. Lightly sprinkle the chocolate with fleur de sel. Allow to stand until chocolate is set (about 1 hour).

*Photos courtesy of the loverly LadyJayPee. Go stalk her blog. Now.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I'm eatin' one now. Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on stalking her blog. :))
    You really do have the touch--these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete