Monday, December 28, 2009

Penuche Fudge


So, minding my own business at home. Makin some fudge...you know, the usual. And what comes out of the pan? This delicious fudge concoction that we just couldn't stop eating. I'm serious. This stuff was dangerous. So dangerous, in fact, that two of us pretty much ate all of it in a week. No joke. Stop looking at me like that.

Anyways...I had a grrreeeeaaaattttt ( as Tony the Tiger would say) Christmas at home. And it was so hard to come back to the city. I was given lots of baking presents including several cookbooks (or bakebooks) that need my immediate attention (duh). I have several awesome recipes to share from my stay at home, this being the first and probably the best. This fudge is very sweet, but oh so good!


Penuche Fudge
Martha Stewart

Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 5-oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
5 oz (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Coat a 5-by-10-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line with plastic wrap leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides.

Bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 236 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 25 minutes.

Transfer to a mixer bowl, and beat in confectioners' sugar on low speed. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium, and beat until mixture is thickened and smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla.

Spread mixture in pan, smoothing top. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm, about 25 minutes. Unmold fudge using plastic overhang, and discard plastic. Cut into 18 pieces. Penuche will keep, covered, for up to 1 week.

*Pictures taken again by the talented LadyJayPee.

3 comments:

  1. Darn it all, now I'm gonna have to make this. Maybe for New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just like saying the word "penuche" :)) Yours looks beautiful--I want to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this (added nuts) and it was deLISH!!!! I can't stop eating it. Of course, my thermometer was broken, and I didn't discover this until AFTER I had the mixture simmering... oh well... I used the soft ball test and it still worked. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete