Thursday, March 18, 2010

Palmiers/Elephant Ears



When I was a youngin and my mom would take me to the mall, she would always get me what I called an elephant ear from a bakery in the food court. She would hold me up so I could see all of them and decide the specific one I wanted. It would come in a small paper bag and everytime we went into a store, my mom would tell me that I had to put it away. And I'm sure I would wander around whatever store we were in with a ring of sugar around my mouth from nibbling my elephant ear.

When I heard how easy elephant ears are to make, I just had to try. I used store bought pastry dough this time and made some with cinnamon and sugar and some with just sugar. They turned out so yummy and the only caution I have is to really watch them baking because the bottoms burn very easily.



Palmiers/Elephant Ears from Ina Garten

  • 2 cups granulated sugar

  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon (if desired)

  • 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted (I used Pepperidge Farm)


Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the sugar and cinnamon (if using).

Pour 1 cup of the sugar mixture on a flat surface such as wooden board or marble. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto the sugar and pour 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture on top, spreading it evenly on the puff pastry. This is not about sprinkling, it's about an even covering of sugar. With a rolling pin, roll the dough until it's 13 by 13-inches square and the sugar is pressed into the puff pastry on top and bottom. Fold the sides of the square towards the center so they go halfway to the middle. Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough. Then fold 1 half over the other half as though closing a book. You will have 6 layers. Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Place the second sheet of pastry on the sugared board, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar mixture, and continue as above. (There will be quite a bit of sugar left over on the board.) Slice and arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment.

Bake the cookies for 6 minutes until caramelized and brown on the bottom. Ms. Garten says to flip the cookies, but I found that I liked them better when I didn't. Your call!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I made these a few years ago right before we moved here (I was cleaning our my freezer and used up my frozen puff pastry!) I was so excited to find out how easy they were to make- although mine didn't turn out as nice looking as yours. They were a fave treat of mine when I was younger, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tastebuds think alike, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Palmiers/Elephant Ears – Cookies – – Everything Nice [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Palmiers/Elephant Ears – Cookies – – Everything Nice [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Palmiers/Elephant Ears – Cookies – – Everything Nice [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. son assez cool affiche, maintenant je l`ai écrit quelque chose aussi dans certains de mes site . http://notebooksacer.blogspot.com Att

    ReplyDelete