Monday, March 29, 2010

Buttermilk Pound Cake



It was my birthday on Saturday and it just so happened that I went to Texas for the weekend to visit some family. The first time I ever went to visit them, my Aunt Gina made this poundcake and I could have sworn it was the best cake I had ever tasted! I always forget how good it is and then my Aunt sends me one every year for my birthday and I am taken back by how good it is again and again.

This year, as we ate this cake I found out the story about where it came from. Apparently, my Uncle John's secretary a looooong time ago made this cake and brought it to the office. My Uncle was sitting on one of those plastic chairs and as he was eating it, it broke in half and he fell on his bum! Not that this has anything to do with how awesome this cake is, but it's a funny story, nonetheless.

This year, I got the recipe from my cousin. Such an easy recipe and I promise you, this cake is so soft and the crust on it is just a dream come true. I am so glad I have this recipe in my repitoir now. My life is complete. Carry on.



Buttermilk Pound Cake from my Uncle John's Secretary

3 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

6 eggs

3 cups flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 cups buttermilk

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla

Grease a large bundt pan and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Cream the sugar and shortening together until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and blending well after each addition. Add the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.

In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.

Add the flour, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, until completely combined.

Pour dough into pan and bake at 325 degrees for 85 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect old fashioned cake! I'm bookmarking it right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank YOU for reading, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, there is a tender melty-ness imparted by shortening that can't be duplicated by butter (even though I love butter). It comes closer to the lard that my Grannies used in their baking. I really can't wait to try this--my 97 year-old Mom will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you got a long-held & highly-esteemed family recipe. Thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thank YOU for reading, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete