Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Molasses Spice Cookies



Everyone's different tastes for things astound me. These cookies are super soft and almost break apart if you hold one up. I was a little dejected because I like cookies a bit sturdier and chewier. Bananie told me yesterday, however, that they were the best cookies I've made.

"Um. Really?? Are you sure you aren't thinking of that chocolate chip cupcake I made yesterday? Those were pretty good...but the cookies? Meh."

But that's just how Bananie likes her cookies. As soft as they can be! Ok, I'll go with that.

I got in an argument with Spice this weekend about what color her fleece was. I thought it was cherry red and she said it was magenta. Call one of us colorblind.

To each their own, I suppose. I'm not gonna fight about cookies or fleeces. I'll save my fights for who has to unload the dishwasher =)

Molasses Spice Cookies from Cook's Illustrated The New Best Recipe
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

  • 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling cookies

  • 1 large egg yolk

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/2 cup unsulphered molasses

  • Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and pepper together in a bowl and set aside.

    Use an electric mixer and beat the butter for 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar, and granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes with mixer set at medium speed. Add egg yolk, vanilla extract, and molasses. Beat until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.

    Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.

    Place remaining 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Working with 2 Tbsp of dough each time, roll dough into 1 3/4 inch balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheets, spacing them 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart.

    Bake until the outer edges of the cookies begin to set and centers are soft and puffy, about 11 to 13 minutes. Cookies will look raw between the cracks and seem underdone. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes before transferring them to cooling racks .

    2 comments:

    1. I could NOT get enough of these, they were the chewiest, soft cookies ever and they were SOOO rich with flavor! These may be some of the best cookies i've ever had in my life and I am sitting at work praying that there is one left for me when I get home tonight!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hola,
      Super post, tienen que marcarlo en Digg

      [url=http://www.river4dwn.com/]Bottomless[/url]

      ReplyDelete