Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chewy Chocolate Raspberry Cookies



I have nothing against the vegans of the world. I have nothing against the raw foodies or the vegetarians. In fact, I have a lot of respect for those who follow a specific diet. (I'm trying REEEEEEEEEEAAALLY hard not to offend anyone here!)

I, however, am not one of them. My body does best when I eat what I crave in moderation. If I want a cookie,  I eat a cookie. That's why, until now I have not made anything vegan. I have a friend who does a lot of vegan baking and comes up with the most original recipes! It blows my mind! I, however, stick to butter and eggs because I am not vegan and want my real cookie.

Until now.

I was craving something with raspberry and chocolate together, because it is simply such a divine combination. I came across a recipe that just so happened to be vegan. After scratching my head and staring at my computer screen long enough, I decided it was time to take the leap into vegan-ness.

I was completely blown away by these cookies. They were moist and soft and chewy and amazing. I have to mention again how moist they were because I thought they would be pretty dry since there wasn't any butter or eggs. Not so. This is definitely a recipe I will come back and make again. I also added chocolate chips just for kicks.



Chocolate Raspberry Cookies (vegan) from Koko's Kitchen
  • 1/2 cup raspberry preserves

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1/3 cup canola oil

  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

  • 1 tsp almond extract

  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted if clumpy)

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

  • 3/4 tsp baking soda

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease cookie sheet.

    In a large mixing bowl, stir together raspberry preserves, canola oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts.

    In a seperate mixing bowl, sift together the other ingredients. Add the dry to the wet in 3 batches, mixing well with a fork after each addition. When you get to the last batch you may need to use your hands to work the batter into a soft and pliable dough. Add the chocolate chip and mix until incorporated.

    Roll the dough into walnut size balls and then flatten them with your hands into 2 1/2 inch diameter discs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

    Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

    4 comments:

    1. You added chocolate chips to something??? Shocking! Good thing I didn't have one of these cookies since there is ALMOND EXTRACT IN THEM!!!! I almost ate one the other day....that could have been interesting.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first vegan cookie experience!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. HEY AL!!! Don't use Canola oil as it's Highly GMO and not meant to be consumed as a food...I won't lie I've used it sometimes when I'm trying something out...instead spend the extra bucks on a small thing of avocado oil...or use earth balance...yum!! I can give you lots of tips to get out of butter and eggs...they are super easy to replace as you don't need them to bake at all! :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. "Spectrum" & "Napa Valley Naturals" both have organic canola oil, so no GMOs, and they're both pretty easy to find!

      ReplyDelete