Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Butter



If you thought pumpkin baking season ended at Halloween, you were sorely mistaken. My obsession continues effervescently.

Welcome to Pumpkin Butter Land (that would be our apartment), where since making this, I have put it on everything I can think of. Sure, I put it in my oatmeal, on toast, and eat it by the spoonful. But, I also have put it on my eggs, used it as a salad dressing, used it in baked good and pretty much put a dollop on everything whether or not I think I can get away with it.

So, if your looking to infuse more pumpkin into your life, this is the solution. This recipe can be fooled around with in many ways. Feel free to use white sugar, or adjust the spices to your taste. You can definitely use canned pumpkin, but I ended up roasting a pumpkin and making my own puree.



Pumpkin Butter

3-4 cups pumpkin puree (or about 1-29 oz. can of pumpkin puree)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup apple cider
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

Combine pumpkin, sugar, cider and spices in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat and allow to boil. Reduce heat and let mixture simmer, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency. Let cool, transfer to jars, and store in the refrigerator.

1 comment: