Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pumpkin Blondies



I had a dream awhile ago. It was probably September and I was obviously getting really excited about pumpkin season. I dreamt that I was running around the city trying to find canned pumpkin and, yet again, there was another shortage. I went from store to store getting more stressed out with each negative canned pumpkin store I ventured into. By the time I woke up, I was gnawing my teeth and sweating.

The next day, I went out and found canned pumpkin in the city and bought about 10 cans, which I then had to lug to the dance studio, the gym, work and out with friends before I could give them a warm introduction to my pantry. That is dedication, my friends.

I made these pumpkin blondies several weeks ago for a Halloween party. They were VEEERYYY well received by everyone who had one. I was not as smitten, because to me, blondies should have a denser texture and these were like cake. Still delicious and my roommates could not stop asking about them. They were also easy, which is an added bonus. I ended up using butterscotch and chocolate chips and drizzled the top with the little melted chocolate.

Hello, Lover!

Pumpkin Blondies
Annie's Eats

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¼ cups granulated sugar (or brown sugar)
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
Melted chocolate and extra butterscotch chips for drizzle and decoration

Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with foil.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.  Stir together and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.  Mix in the pumpkin puree.  With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Fold in the chocolate and butterscotch chips with a rubber spatula.

Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs, about 35-40 minutes.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting.

To serve, lift the cake from the pan using the foil and transfer to a cutting board.  Peel off the foil and using a sharp knife, cut into 24 squares.

1 comment: