Sunday, March 20, 2011

Toffee



I'd never made toffee before.

Sounded delicious.

So I did it. 

Then I immediately gave it away because it was too delicious to keep around.

Toffee
Mehan's Kitchen

1/4 pound almonds 
3 cups (6 sticks) salted butter 
3 cups sugar
1 pound semi-sweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast nuts on baking sheet, about 15 minutes. Remove nuts from oven and let cool completely. Transfer cooled nuts to a large ziplock bag and pound nuts until coarsely ground.

Melt butter in an 8-quart pot over medium-low heat; stir in sugar. Continue stirring until toffee reaches 305 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 30 minutes.

Pour toffee onto an 18-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet, spreading evenly. Let cool until toffee is slightly hardened. Run a knife along the edges of the baking sheet to make toffee easier to remove.  

In a bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water, melt chocolate. Remove chocolate from heat and let cool slightly until it reaches about 95 degrees on a candy thermometer. Immediately pour melted chocolate over toffee, spreading evenly to cover. Sprinkle over coarsely ground almonds, pressing down with offset spatula. Transfer to refrigerator until toffee is set, about 1 hour. To remove toffee from pan, run a sharp knife along the edges and lift toffee from the bottom. Using your hands, break toffee into large pieces.

4 comments:

  1. That large photo makes me want to dive into the picture. I would love this. You love the sugar, I would love the butter. :D Is it brittle like a Heath bar, or soft like fudge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it makes a huge amount of toffee- good times! That is a lot of buttah! I would love it. I've always wanted to make toffee but never have. I'd prob eat the whole pan myself. Your pic is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha SOOO much butter, you guys are right! And you can really taste it in there too!

    JP: They are definitely brittle like a Heath bar but you could take them off the stove earlier and I bet they would be softer if that's what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to see a new post!!

    ReplyDelete