Monday, January 24, 2011

Gingersnaps



This past holiday season, I became a slave to the subtle and spicy flavor of ginger. In everything! I was craving gingerbread like it was going out of style! When I came home for Christmas, I decided to share the love with my parental units and made these gingersnaps.

I couldn't get over how good these were! They are very soft and chewy, but in a good way. Even a certain someone who prefers her cookies crisp loved these! They were very easy as well. No mixer or beaters needed. Just two bowls. 

Were having a cold snap here in the Northeast. I recommend making these if you are too! They will warm you up for sure!

Gingersnaps
17 and Baking 

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
Sugar for rolling (I like evaporated cane juice or raw sugar)

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine together the brown sugar, molasses, canola oil, and egg until smooth. Mix the flour mixture into the brown mixture, stirring until dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop up bits of dough by the heaping teaspoonful and roll into balls between your palms, about the size of a quarter. Roll the balls in sugar and place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 8 minutes – if you like crispy gingersnaps, try 9-10 minutes.

Cookies will be very soft but will firm up. Leave on the baking sheet several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. These are on my for-sure list to make. I LOVED these! They were perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll hafta make these, and add some finely chopped crystalized ginger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these today, and thought about adding grated fresh ginger, but got too lazy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystalized ginger sounds like a great addition, Michelle!

    JP: Haha, they are delicious as is anyways!

    ReplyDelete