Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baked: Sweet and Salty Cake



This was maybe the most ridiculous culinary adventure ever. Making this cake was quite the production, and, of course, I decided to undertake it the afternoon after I ran a half marathon. Smart. Real smart.

Spice got me the Baked cookbook for my birthday, and once I saw this cake, I knew it would be the first thing I made from it!

The cake itself is a classic, very moist chocolate. Maybe one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. Seriously. Even after a week and a half, the cake was STILL moist!

In between each layer is a layer of salted caramel. Whooo! I could've stopped here and just used the caramel sauce for everyday adventures in the kitchen. I licked the spoon more than once. The frosting is a whipped caramel ganache frosting. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill frosting here! This is so decadent and rich you may roll over in a chocolate induced coma. In a good way.


Sea salt is love. Honor it.


I can't find this recipe printed online with permissions, so I'm not sure I'm allowed to share the recipe, sorry! But you really should go get this cookbook, because it has some real gems in it!

2 comments:

  1. LOL: "Sea salt is love. Honor it."

    (I did honor it last night when I made salted fudge brownies; we're on the same wavelength.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMMM Ok so can you mail me this cake overnight for my birthday next year??? Its sounds like my perfect cake with all the caramel!!

    ReplyDelete