Monday, March 1, 2010

Olympic Ring Cookies



I'm not huge into the Olympics, especially the winter games. I have respect for it, don't get me wrong! Lots of respect! Anyone who straps on two pieces of wood and flies down a mountain at 90 miler per hour gets my respect. No questions asked. I get a bit more excited about the summer Olympics because I am a gymnastics nut. By that I mean I have the entire gymnastics events on tape from the past 3 summer Olympics.

Bananie, on the other hand, LOVES the winter Olympics. She even organized an Olympic event with the kids where she works. She asked for some Olmpic cookies and with a few disclaimers I made these for the little tykes.

Happy (or sad) end of the Olympics! Now Biggest Loser will return and the Today Show will again be broadcast from New York. All is right with the world. =)

I'm reposting the sugar cookie recipe and royal icing recipe below for your enjoyment.



Cut Out Sugar Cookies from The Hungry Housewife

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and extract and beat to incorporate.

In a separate bowl sift together to flour, baking powder and salt.

Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Divide the dough into 2 portions, wrap with wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Remove the dough, roll out to 3/8 inch thick in between sheets of parchment paper and cut into desired shapes.

Place cut cookie dough back into fridge for 10-15 minutes. Bake cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Cool completely before icing.

Royal Icing from Sweetopia

3/4 cup warm water
5 tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2.25 lbs. powdered sugar

*If your meringue powder has no flavoring, add one teaspoon of clear vanilla. I've also used almond and lemon flavoring with good results.

In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and meringue powder. Mix with whisk by hand until frothy and thickened, about 30 seconds.

Add the cream of tartar and mix 30 more seconds.

Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.

Using the paddle attachment on the lowest speed, mix slowly for 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.

Tint with desired food coloring.

9 comments:

  1. PS: Those are such cute cookies.
    PPS: I'm glad the Olympics are done too. I need my routine back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goody. Thanks for reposting that recipe. I almost did something crazy the other day and made these, but I couldn't find the recipe. I think I'd rather place an order from you than d-d-decorate c-c-cookies. (insert scary movie music) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAHHH best cookies ever!!!!!! Only 2 years until LONDON 2012!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] everyone at the wedding will like them! Rebecca seemed to when she saw them! I used my usual sugar cookie and royal icing recipes [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] You can find the sugar cookie and royal icing recipe I use here. [...]

    ReplyDelete